Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What type of programs does Starlight Video Productions produce?

A.  Our specialty is educational video for history, travel and the arts. Organizations we've worked with:

* Ithaca Made Movies---Theodore Wharton's silent picture studio history of Ithaca, NY.  Video Clip
* Case Research Lab---Theodore Case's birth of sound on film laboratory and historic films. Video Clip
* Asbury First United Methodist Church---Christmas bell and vocal choir performances. Video Clip
* Middleton Plantation of Charleston, SC---Romantic southern garden tour. Video Clip
* Rochester Public Library---Fascinating tour of historic library treasures of New York.  Video Clip
* Historic Riviera Theater--- Vaudeville theater tour starring the Mighty Wurlitzer Organ. Video Clip

Q. What should I wear when I am "on-camera"?

A. We want you to look your best for television! Click on the links below for our helpful hints on wardrobe, jewelry, make-up, color analysis, and the proper use of our wireless microphone.

Wardrobe Tips for Ladies

Wardrobe Tips for Men

Q. What legal documents do I need to sign to be in one of your video productions?

A. The most common forms we must have signed before production and television broadcast are:

* Group or Individual Release ---permission to tape your voice and image for TV broadcast.
* Property Release ---permission for our video crew to enter your property for videotaping
* Images Permission ---copyright to use photos, films, writings, video and artwork in our production
* Music Permission ---music copyright for master recording, synchronization, and performance
* Minors Release ---permission to tape voice and image of children 17 and under for TV broadcast.
* Footage Release --videographer holds legal copyright to their video footage used in our productions

Q. What about Music Copyright?

A. It's more cost-efficient for us to use royalty free music from our music library than pay the broadcast fees for a popular copyrighted song. Also, many people who are involved with music as part of their work (musicians and aerobic instructors) may be granted a "Performance License" to use popular music for a concert, class, or festival but their contracts rarely include a Music Rights License for television broadcast. This may add on an extra fee for the the musician or instructor from the music publisher who grants them the original license. We have many professional styles of music we can substitute for productions  including classical, comedy, jazz, folk, hip-hop, country, pop, new age, children, holiday, cartoons, narration, drama, documentary and movie scores.

Q. Would you consider using original music from a performer or band for PROFILE! Magazine?

A. We prefer to use our original music or songs in the public domain. On occasion, we will consider original  music  from a performer or band if it relates to the style we need for our production. Before television broadcast, the musician must sign a legal document stating the following: they are the original creator and legal copyright owner of each song, to grant permission for television broadcast and to release our company, Starlight Video Productions, from any future liability claims from people who claim copyright ownership and royalty fees. For a music video, each performer  must also sign a Talent Release Form granting permission for their image and voice to be broadcast on television. Musicians still retain 100% copyright for their original music video performance and are listed in the credit roll.

Q. How long does it take to produce an Episode of PROFILE! Magazine?

A. The average time is three to six months.  This includes:

      * Preproduction--research, storyboarding, scriptwriting, location shoots, site surveys, legal clearances
      * Production--on site video taping, interviews, acquiring and scanning historic photos and film
      * Post Production--editing,  voice over narration, music, special effects, graphic design
      * Marketing--advertising,  website news,  online streaming media, video festivals
      * Distribution--tape duplication and processing for website orders and Public Access Stations

Q. Do you accept submissions from Independent Videographers for your show?

A. We will consider submissions from independent producers that focus on quality, educational programming. The main focus of our show highlights history, travel, and the arts, although we will consider other educational topics from people who share our vision for quality television. We also enjoy light-hearted humor that is wholesome and suitable for family audiences. If we accept your video, we require you to sign a Footage Release Agreement stating you are the legal copyright holder and grant us permission to use your footage on our program. Common reasons we decline submissions: it doesn't suit the format of our show, poor technical quality, or lack of copyright clearances from the producer.  Please e-mail us first with your inquiry before sending us your tape!

Q. What is Public Access Television?

A.  Public, Educational and Government (PEG) access television channels on cable television systems provide opportunities for community organizations and individuals to produce their own television shows. PEG access centers exist because cable operators provide channel capacity, services, facilities and equipment as partial compensation to their communities for public rights-of-way to media for the local population. Community volunteer producers, directors, presenters and technical staff create programs that inform, educate, instruct or entertain residents in  their local area. PEG access centers continue to provide our communities with a diverse, independent and local voice. For more information about producing your own television show visit The Alliance for Community Media.

Q. What are Public Access Television's Broadcast Rules and Restrictions for programming?

A. Program does not contain:

* Direct solicitation, advertising, bartering, or promotion of commercial products, services or transactions
* Slanderous, libelous, defamatory of character, an invasion of privacy, or unlawfully made
* Obscene material which violates local, state or federal laws
* Lotteries; paid political announcements; any material that violates local, state or federal law
* Unlawful use of copyrighted material subject to ownership, royalty rights, right of publicity, or other payment;
* Any material to defraud the viewer designed to obtain money by false or fraudulent pretenses, representations or promises 

Copyright 2015 Starlight Video Productions